Mobile County Public Schools Superintendent Martha Peek added six new names to the district’s Giving Tree, located in the lobby of the Academic Affairs Building at Central Office.
The honorees are:
- Chasity Collier, Alabama’s Teacher of the Year
- Tami May, Mobile County’s Secondary Teacher of the Year
- Dr. Amanda Jones, Alabama’s Chiquita Marbury Technology Innovation Award
- Julie Neidhardt, Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science
- Virginia Hall, Alabama’s Outstanding Earth Science Teacher
- Andrea Kohutek, National Geographic Certified Educator
Peek said she is proud of these teachers for all that they give of themselves: their knowledge, compassion, professionalism and more. She was joined by board member Don Stringfellow, Central Office administrators, principals and others for the recognition.
The school system dedicated The Giving Tree in 2011 and has been adding leaves to the tree every year since. The tree contains the names of educators who have been named countywide Teacher of the Year or who have won either statewide or national awards.
Honorees also receive a copy of the Shel Silverstein book “The Giving Tree.”